The annual Spring into the Arts Festival returns to Harvey County April 23rd – 26th with a four-day celebration of visual and performing arts.
Art and Music in the Heart of Newton will fill Main Street with artists and performers to kick off the festival from 6-8 p.m. Thursday, April 23. Event-goers can watch demonstrations and enjoy special performances by a variety of groups, including the Song of the Heartland chorus. The Carriage Factory Art Gallery will display “Creative Youth,” a student art show with music by Dave Schimming during the event. Many downtown businesses also will extend their hours for the evening, which is sponsored by the Newton Area Chamber of Commerce. Admission to Art and Music in the Heart of Newton is free.
In addition to the outdoor events, the Fox Theatre will open its doors to the community on April 23 for a 7:30 p.m. showing of “The Wizard of Oz.” Tickets will be $5.
Bethel College in North Newton will also host two Thursday events, a reception for the annual student art exhibition from 6-8 p.m. in the Luyken Fine Arts Center and the spring drama, which begins at 7:30 p.m. in the Krehbiel Auditorium.
Festival fun continues from 5-8 p.m. on Friday, April 24, with the Newton Presbyterian Manor’s Apple Blossom Festival. This annual event is a favorite for all ages and features musical, dance and theater performances in addition to crafters, local vendors, antique cars, carriage rides, KidFest attractions for children and a barbecue dinner. Tickets are $8 for adults and $4 for children.
On Saturday, April 25, festival patrons will find a day full of fun in both Hesston and Newton. The Prairiestock Local Music Festival and FloraKansas Plant Sale will be offered at Dyck Arboretum of the Plains, 177 W. Hickory, Hesston. This all-day music festival features artists performing a variety of genres, including acoustic guitar, Celtic, folk, Indie rock and bluegrass. Performances are scheduled hourly from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tickets are $5 for adults. Children are admitted free. FloraKansas offers garden tours, plant sales and educational programs.
In Newton on Saturday, Carriage Factory Art Gallery will offer its first barn quilt painting class, “Barn Quilt 101” from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The cost of the workshop is $50 and includes all supplies. Two-foot square boards will be supplied; other sizes are also available for purchase. Instructor Sandy Heyman will bring a book of patterns. There will be a 30-minute lunch break. Class size is limited. Reserve a spot by calling 284-2749 or email email@example.com. Also on Saturday, chamber musicians will perform from 2-4 p.m. inside the historic Warkentin House offering “Fusion: Music & History,” a preview of the Newton Mid-Kansas Symphony Orchestra’s 25th anniversary summer concert. The home will be open for free tours during the performances, which are sponsored by the Newton Convention & Visitors Bureau.
The Spring into the Arts Festival wraps up on Sunday, April 26, with Sunday Afternoon at the Museum, an Earth Day celebration at Kauffman Museum at 2 p.m. and a pair of concerts. The Newton Community Children’s Choir will perform its spring concert at 4 p.m. at Shalom Mennonite Church in Newton, and the Kansas Mennonite Men’s Chorus will perform at 7 p.m. at Bethel College Memorial Hall in North Newton. All activities on Sunday are free.
2015 Spring into the Arts Festival at a glance:
Thursday, April 23
- Art and Music in the Heart of Newton ♦ 6 pm-8 pm ♦ Downtown ♦ Free
- “Creative Youth” student art show ♦ 6 pm-8 pm ♦ Carriage Factory Gallery ♦ Free
- Reception for student art exhibit ♦ 6 pm-8 pm ♦ Luyken Fine Art Center, Bethel College, North Newton ♦ Free
- “The Wizard of Oz” movie screening ♦ 7:30 pm ♦ Fox Theatre ♦ $5
- Spring drama ♦ 7:30 p.m ♦ Krehbiel Auditorium ♦ Bethel College, North Newton
Friday, April 24
- Apple Blossom Festival ♦ 5 pm-8 pm ♦ Presbyterian Manor campus ♦ free
Saturday, April 25
- Barn Quilt 101 ♦ 10 am to 5 pm ♦ Carriage Factory Art Gallery ♦ $50
- Prairiestock Music Festival & FloraKansas Plant Sale ♦ 10 am to 7 pm ♦ Dyck Arboretum of the Plains, Hesston
- Fusion: Music & History, chamber music ♦ 2 pm-4 pm ♦ Warkentin House ♦ Free
Sunday, April 26
- Sunday Afternoon at the Museum: Earth Day Celebration ♦ 2 pm ♦ Kauffman Museum ♦ Free
- Newton Community Children’s Choir Spring Concert ♦ 4 pm ♦ Shalom Mennonite Church ♦ Free
- Kansas Mennonite Men’s Chorus ♦ 7 pm ♦ Bethel College Memorial Hall ♦ Free
The Spring into the Arts Festival is sponsored by the Newton Area Arts Council